In April 2011, the Government introduced the Pupil Premium Grant (PPG). This is additional funding to help schools and academies close the attainment gap between children from low-income and other disadvantaged families and their peers.
The funding is allocated to children who are eligible for Free School Meals (FSM). The category now includes any child that has been registered for Free School Meals in the past six years (known as ‘Ever 6 FSM’). The funding also covers children in care who have been looked after continuously for more than 6 months. This category is referred to as Children Looked After (CLA). There is a premium for children who have been adopted from care (AFC) and a service premium has also been introduced for children whose parents are serving in the armed forces.
The Government believes that headteachers and senior leaders should decide how to use the Pupil Premium Grant. They are held accountable for the decisions they make through:
- The performance tables which show the performance of disadvantaged pupils compared with their peers;
- The new Ofsted inspection framework, under which inspections focus on the attainment of pupil groups, in particular those who attract the PPG;
- The new reports for parents on how PPG is spent that schools and academies now have to publish online.
At Ralph Sadleir School, we ensure:
- That teaching and learning opportunities meet the needs of all of the pupils;
- That appropriate provision is made for pupils who belong to vulnerable groups;
- That the needs of socially disadvantaged pupils are adequately assessed and addressed;
In making provision for socially disadvantaged pupils, we recognise:
- That all not all pupils who received Free School Meals will be socially disadvantaged.
- That not all pupils who are socially disadvantaged are registered or qualify for Free School Meals
The Pupil Premium Grant is allocated to schools and academies from April to March (financial year). Ralph Sadleir School is an Academy Trust and therefore its financial year runs from September to August running parallel to the academic year.
In the financial year 2017-18, we received the following funding for each pupil registered as eligible for Free School Meals at any point in the last six years:
- £1,320 for primary-aged pupils (KS2)
- £935 for secondary-aged pupils (KS3)
The Academy Trust also received £1,900 for each pupil who:
- Has been looked after for 1 day or more
- Has been adopted from care
- Has left care under:
- A special guardianship order
- A residence order
- A child arrangement order
At Ralph Sadleir School Academy we believe that the directors and governors should be directly involved in Pupil Premium funding and the challenge and evaluation of Pupil Premium funded programmes.
Our academy governance takes a strategic overview of the Pupil Premium programme and an active role in the identification of the most effective Pupil Premium projects to raise attainment for the most challenged and deprived pupils. This includes a review of the evaluation and effectiveness of the Pupil Premium projects during and at the end of the academic year, challenging the
effectiveness of the educational interventions and taking an evidenced based approach to reviewing what works and what is less effective.
The Headteacher presents a report twice a year to:
- Local Governing Body
- Curriculum and Achievement Committee
The Business Manager presents a report twice a year to:
- Resources Committee
The Academy Governance together with senior leaders:
- Are accountable for their decisions and for the impact of the Pupil Premium initiatives;
- Are fully involved in deciding how the extra funding is used;
- Ensure finances are tightly controlled;
- Expenditure decisions are closely linked to priorities in the Academy Improvement Plan;
- Monitor the Academy’s effectiveness in closing the attainment gap between different groups of pupils;
- Have comprehensive knowledge of published data and are skilled in using these data to check progress and hold staff to account.
The full Pupil Premium Grant Report for 2017-18 will be uploaded by 31st December 2018.