The decision to close the school in severe weather, or when responding to a public emergency, will be taken by the headteacher based on the following:
– Insufficient staff are able to come in to keep the school running safely;
– Conditions on site are dangerous;
– Local conditions in the vicinity of to the school are too dangerous;
– Conditions are considered to be or are anticipated to later become too hazardous for travel.
In the event of severe weather the following procedures will be followed:
Before School Hours:
– The school will use the Local Authority (LA) Closure Notification System (CNS) to inform the LA and parents of closure. Messages received by this system will be posted on a public facing noticeboard linked from www.hertsdirect.org An email will also be automatically generated and sent to the School’s nominated radio station. No information means the school is OPEN.
– Information will be placed on the school website – www.ralphsadleir.herts.sch.uk Using the link ‘Severe Weather Notice’ on the front page and the ‘News’ section, parents and staff will be kept informed of weather conditions and decisions being taken by the school. Where possible information relating to other local schools will also be given.
– Parents and staff using Parentmail will receive an email giving information.
– Parents using Parentmail who have included a mobile telephone number will receive a text message.
Parents should check Parentmail, the school website and their telephone for a message before contacting the school office.
– If closure affects Ralph Sadleir School only, a message will be placed on the following radio station: BBC Three Counties Radio (103.8 FM / 95.5 FM or 630 MW / 1161 MW)
– Where possible information will be published on the school gate.
The school is aware that some pupils travel a considerable distance and that conditions local to you may differ from those around Standon and Puckeridge.
We will do our best to keep the message on the website and via Parentmail up to date with conditions local to the school. We will ‘man’ the school office if at all possible but this does rely on staff, themselves, being able to travel into school (very few of the staff live locally).
During School Hours:
– In the event of the school having to close during the day due to worsening weather the above notification procedures will be followed.
– Pupils will only be allowed off the premises if collected by a nominated adult during school hours.
– Pupils will not be released ‘on demand’ but at lesson changeover to reduce the impact on the whole school:
– End of Lesson 1 10.15 am
– End of Lesson 2 11.30 am
– End of Lesson 3 12.30 pm
– End of Lunchtime 1.25 pm
– End of Lesson 4 2.25 pm
– End of School Day 3.30 pm
– Pupils remaining at school will be supervised by members of the school staff until collected by parents or nominated adult.
– The situation will be continually assessed and necessary actions taken. The safety of pupils and staff will be taken into consideration, staff being released for journeys home according to circumstances, supervision levels of pupils etc.
Pupils travelling to school on buses and in taxis will be released at the request of the bus/taxi company. Parents will be informed by the school office or the bus/taxi company.
– Please check www.hertsdirect.org/highways for advice and information relating to highways winter maintenance including salt bins and the priority routes for salting.
– We appreciate that local conditions will vary and that parents will take decisions that ensure the safety of their children and take into consideration local conditions and the advice of the local police. We know that you will do all you can to ensure the attendance of your child(ren). Please keep the school informed by phone or electronically.
School Office Tel No: 01920 821042
School Office Fax No: 01920 822663
– Should we need to inform parents of any other major incident the same procedures will be followed.